The changing face of Auckland eating opportunities... As usual, please let me know if I have missed something!
- Meadow - cafe in Meadowbank from the duo behind Parnell's 46 & York
- Open Table - crowd-funded cafe in Ellerslie with a focus on community and sustainability
- The Collins - cafe and bar in Greenhithe with local and free-farmed produce, in an old bungalow
- Foundation on George - a new fit out underscores the brick beauty of this cafe close to Parnell's Jubilee Building, previously the Foundation Espresso Room
- Blend - coffee and bikes at Ponsonby concept store The Shelter
- [Added 25 August 2016: Armadillo - cafe in Rothesay Bay with a laid back vibe]
Craft Beer Fix
- Sweat Shop Brew Kitchen - what used to be Sale St has embraced its former life as a factory by calling itself the "hardest working bar". They've certainly put in the effort, with a boutique brewery and an in-house grill and smokehouse.
- 16tun - "a New Zealand free house" at North Wharf with an impressive range of beers, cherry picked from around the country. The food menu looks good too, from smaller items ("half tun") like paua fritters and merino lamb to larger items ("full tun") like ribs and burgers.
- Panscape - spacious bakery in Newmarket with European pastries as well as an interesting range of Turkish dishes alongside standard cafe options
- 4&20 - technically opened in August, this Remuera bakery (by founder of food store Zarbo) uses organic, free-range or locally sourced ingredients where possible
- Greedy Guts - Wellesley Street food spot opening early October, from the founders of Cereal Killa
- Italia Square - cafe, restaurant and marketplace for Italian goodness in Parnell
- Miss Saigon - cafe and Vietnamese restaurant opening in Newmarket in November
- Apero - presumably a wine bar opening on K'Rd
- New Zealand Cheese Month - 1 to 31 October, organised by the NZ Specialist Cheesemakers Association. Tastings, a goat farm open day, cheesemaking demos and more (click on "Regional Cheese Month Activity" on the Cheese Month page).
- Taste of Auckland - 13 to 16 November, for the first time held at Western Springs rather than at Victoria Park